The strategic use of Web based applications can dramatically improve the quality and quantity of intelligence that can be extracted from operating data with modest investments. These applications also significantly decrease the time needed to handle or process data and let technical service personnel focus on providing core high value services. BASF Corporation, Catalysts Division has an extensive and continually growing database of FCC operating data and equilibrium catalyst (ECat) test results from the worldwide refining industry. In order to enable its technical service engineers to extract valuable information from this database BASF worked with Astron International, Inc. to develop a powerful Web based FCC benchmarking application. This application allows BASF to easily manage, update, search, and produce charts and reports that clearly show important shifts in FCC operation due to catalyst, technology, or feedstock changes and identify opportunities for improving unit performance. The salient features of the Benchmarking application are as follows:
- Web based for centralized and secure access with a Web browser
- Integrated with BASF's LIMS system for near real time update of ECat analysis data
- Standardized Excel based data import feature for uploading FCC operating data Powerful parametric search with query builder for precise and infinitely flexible searches
- Powerful parametric search with query builder for precise and infinitely flexible searches
- Powerful charting features to create XY and histogram charts downloadable in Excel
- Powerful reporting features to create standard comparison reports downloadable in Excel
- Personalized features for users to save charts and reports for quick retrieval.
This paper presents the valuable insights BASF gathered through the use of the benchmarking application.